maro Lip Schtick: New Rules of Yulep

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

New Rules of Yule

My friend RedDirt has delighted us with the prospect of his RedDirt Symposium. At first, I had about a million things to say about the "Save Merry Christmas" campaign. My mind wandered endlessly last night when I went to bed about how I could respond to RedDirt's call for commentary.

I wanted to discuss how everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, seems to have become so ridiculously political. And how it seems like we can't do or say anything anymore without fear of offending somebody.

But then today I came across a reply that seemed to say it all. From the Bleachers writes:
My point is this...the Truth behind Christmas is so profound and so important that the political muckracking that surrounds the season today is so insignificant in comparison. Yes, fight against the attempts to hide that Truth, but do not cheapen it by forgetting what it is...

And an anonymous poster gave us his (or her) thoughts on the subject:
Here is my definition of HAPPY HOLIDAYS: "I don't know you or what faith you practice but I hope you get some paid time off work, eat a fabulous meal and maybe get a new sweater." Personally, I don't care what anyone wishes me as long as it is polite. How about we all pick up an old phrase and just wish everyone "Good Tidings"?

Love it. Not do these folks sum it all up in a mere two paragraphs, but they save me the trouble of getting on a soapbox. And God knows you don't want me to get on a soapbox. Wait ... was it OK to say God there? Sheesh.

But, for fodder's sake, here are LilRed's suggestions on possible new holiday greetings that hopefully we can all embrace:

"Have a pleasant occasion!"
"I hope you enjoy your mirthful recess!"
"Many content remembrances!"

Have a good one, people. No matter what it is.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the honorable mention. Hope you have a Merry Christmas :):)

5:37 PM  
Blogger LilRed said...

You are absolutely welcome, Anonymous. It was my pleasure.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here