maro Lip Schtick: What is wrong with people? - #3p

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

What is wrong with people? - #3

I just posted a response to RedDirt's Symposium topic, "The Bah! Humbug! Factor." In it, I mention that it is a little frustrating that everything has become "so ridiculously political," that we live in constant fear of offending others.

To that end, I guess someone wanted to see just how big of a crow I could fit into my mouth ...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041222/ap_on_re_us/confederate_prom_dress

It is now 2004. It should go without saying ... No confederate flag dresses! I don't care if it's at the prom, or at the local food mart. No!

I understand being proud of your heritage. I am proud of my German roots, but that doesn't mean I want to kick it uptown sporting a nice swastika disguised as formal wear.

Unacceptable.

2 Comments:

Blogger LiteraryTech said...

LOL! Thanks LS. I very much appreciate your simple response, "No!"

Two thoughts:
1. If she really had any knowledge of her heritage, she would not sport a Confederate battle flag, but the flag of the Confederate United States of America which flys with little comment over every Six Flags amusement park in the country.

2. A person interested in heritage, and not barn burning, should pay attention to the way their symbols may have been used to oppress others. The Confederate battle flag is no longer the symbol of an army (and was never the symbol for a country), but is now the symbol for bigotry against those of us who have somewhat more melanin in their skin.

Thanks again!

6:18 PM  
Blogger LilRed said...

Thanks for chiming in, LiteraryTech!

I find it completely terrifying that this young woman thought the flag dress was a good idea.

And where are her parents? My mother would have died before she'd let me walk out the door with wearing a, as you so eloquently put it, "symbol for bigotry against those of us who have somewhat more melanin in our skin."

I just don't get it. And never will.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here