maro Lip Schtick: I don't do orangep

Monday, January 24, 2005

I don't do orange

On this, the day of the first Bedlam men's basketball game between the Sooners and Pokes, I thought I'd write about a pet peeve of mine.

And that peeve is the thought that I should (according to various folks) cheer for Oklahoma State except for when they play against my alma mater, the University of Oklahoma. The reasoning being that since they are both state schools, I should be able to be a bigger person and cheer for the aggies ... "because it's good for Oklahomans to support each other."

That's a bunch of crap. I am a Sooner, through and through.

I seriously doubt that the Texas A&M Aggies ever cheer for the Texas Longhorns. Hells bells, A&M's fight song is all about their hatred for UT. My guess is that there aren't too many NY Yankees fans who cheer for the Mets, either. Do Duke fans root for North Carolina?

E-I-E-I-no.

Now, that doesn't mean that I berate fans of other teams. In fact, quite the opposite. The love I have for my team is in no way dependent upon whether a rival team is floundering. Therefore, I keep my thoughts to myself.

Except for when people tell me I need to cheer for OSU. It'll never happen.

I'm a firm believer in choosing my team and sticking with it. What kind of loyal Sooner would I be if I cheered for Texas, just because it's a Big 12 school? A cruddy fan, indeed.

The same logic applies to the OU - OSU thing. I don't care that they are located in the same state as my school. And I'm sure that's just fine with loyal pokes. I can't see them stooping so low as to root for the Sooners. In fact, I'm sure most pokes would die and go to hell before that would happen. And good for them.

So, just to recap, I will never cheer for the pokes. They don't need sloppy seconds in the rah-rah department.

If that makes me a small person, then so be it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Okiedoke said...

Just sounds like you have good taste to me.

I attended OSU, but have been a roundball Sooner fan ever since coming to Oklahoma some 25 years ago. However, I'm not quite as bad as you when it comes to cheering for OSU. If the Cowboys are in the NCAA Tournament and the Sooners have already been eliminated, I may favor them.

I'm sitting here listening to the game with a co-worker Cowboy fan right now. The score is 51-33. :D

9:40 PM  
Blogger Esther Kustanowitz said...

No worries. Orange is overrated. And doesn't rhyme with anything.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Pink Lemonade Diva said...

I'm an orange (not that one though) girl myself, but that aside, I LOVE a good college rivalry.

Stick with the alma mater, I say.

11:58 AM  
Blogger LilRed said...

Esther - Ain't it the truth? Orange = ugly.

And PLD - Thanks for seeing things my way.

Thanks for stopping by, ladies!

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here