maro Lip Schtick: Sell outsp

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Sell outs

On this, the day of the NCAA football national championship game, I must give a shout-out to my alma mater's team, the Oklahoma Sooners. It will be a great matchup, one in which the crimson and cream will hopefully return victorious.

The title game brings me to an issue, though, that I have had for quite sometime with the sports world ... corporate sponsorship.

I am so tired of everything having a corporate name. Whatever happened to halftime shows just being halftime shows? And why does there have to be a company name attached to a time out?

Then there are the bowls. The Nokia Sugar Bowl. The FedEx Orange Bowl. The Tostitos Fiesta Bowl. The Rose Bowl presented by Citi.

What gives? I use a Nokia phone because it had a better rebate than the others. I ship via FedEx because I've tried others and it's more reliable. I like Tostitos because they are tasty. And I have a Citi card because they are the only company foolish enough to give me one when I was in college and had no credit.

The bottom line is that I don't use these items because they are associated with a bowl game. And I have a hard time believing that Poulan sales skyrocketed during the Poulan Weedeater Bowl era.

But it seems these days that it's all about the coin. And that makes me sad.

Maybe someday when SBC moves on and it becomes the Tampax Cotton Bowl, the powers that be will re-think this whole corporate sponsorship thing.

One can only hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here