maro Lip Schtick: Baby's first Lentp

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Baby's first Lent

I'm not Catholic, nor am I very religious. But a friend of mine was telling me what she is giving up for Lent this year (for those who are curious, she's giving up her fave fare - Mexican food).

So that got me thinking. Maybe I could give up something. Personal sacrifice builds character, doesn't it?

Then, it hit me. You'll recall a few weeks back that I was "Outta control." Which led me to decide that for Lent, instead of giving up something, maybe I should do something ... about my waistline.

I have decided that starting tomorrow, I am going to exercise every day until Easter.

Some may think, "Big whoop. So you're going to do something that's good for you. Where's the sacrifice there?"

I'll tell you where the sacrifice is, Bub. I detest working out. It's not fun to me at all. That's not to say that I don't feel awesome about myself when I leave the gym ... but getting motivated to work out on a regular basis? Well, let's just say I'd much rather be on my couch, remote in hand, watching my Melrose Place re-runs.

And as part of the regimen, I am no longer allowing myself to eat after 7 p.m.

Here are the caveats, if you will:

1. I get Sundays off. Hey! This is my Lent! I'll take Sundays off if I want.
2. The "no food past 7 p.m." rule does not apply to fat free milk.

My goal is to try to lose 5 pounds by Easter. Do-able? I think so.

One thing I am going to try to keep up with in the meantime is updating my progress each day right here on Lip Schtick. And I'll do my very best to be honest about my progress. I figure if I am risking taking a brow-beating from loyal readers for falling off the wagon, well, that's motivation enough.

If anyone else would like to share their Lenten success stories, please feel free. And, any words of encouragement you would like to send my way are appreciated.

Words of discouragement, on the other hand, will be ignored.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LilRed, I'm glad to see you partaking in an age old Catholic tradition. Being a cradle Catholic myself, I've made many a sacrifice. I have sacrificed some of my favorite things like chocolate, lipstick, carbonated drinks, and even red meat. I figured that if Jesus could make the ultimate sacrifice for me, then who am I to indulge in some of life's guiltiest pleasures. However as I've matured, I've begun to question the Catholic Church's stance on pretty much everything. Especially in light of the recent election. I haven't gone to church as religiously (so to speak) as I did in my youth. I think that some of the Church's guiding principles like no pre-marital sex, it's anti-abortion philosophy, and no married or female priests are as antiquated as some of the priests themselves. So, LilRed I commend you on your character building journey. I hope that you succeed, but if you don't - don't let that Catholic guilt and falling short bring you down :)

2:50 PM  
Blogger Lady Godiva said...

You go girl! I'm not into the whole Catholic Lent thing, but any time you treat your body well it's got to be good for you and I have to believe God would approve the project. Drink your milk (non-fat, I hope)and don't forget to get a full 40 winks. According to Dr. Tedd Mitchell of The Cooper Clinic it will help you with the weight loss.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Oh I love the Catholic Lent thing and that is why I have given up all forms of alcohol. Much like you I alos have two caveats:

This does not apply to wine with dinner
It does nto apply to any beverage served or ordered after dinner.

Confession: I am not Catholic and if I were I would be doing this confession thing almost daily. Seriously, good luck on your "do-something-good-for-yourself for Lent goals.

Great blog. Thank you for your note and kind words.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to spark a religious discussion or anything, but let us not forget that Lent is not just a ritual of personal sacrifice observed by Catholics. Episcopaleans practice Lent as well. And, as an Episcopalean married to a Catholic, I understand the minute and extreme differences between Catholicism and Episcopaleanism more than I ever did before.

My husband is Catholic, but not confirmed...and more the Christmas/Easter attendee....whom, I like to refer to as Eastmasers...(kidding)...But, however unoften we attend the Catholic church, he is still strongly attached to the faith and its beliefs, which is fine, because I am very much attached to my Episcopal background as well. Some day, when we raise our unborn children, this may pose a problem for us. But, for now, we both continue to respect the other's faith, while practicing what we preach by splitting our time going from one church to the other when we can.

I don't beleive I will ever convert to Catholicism. I am proud of what I believe and where I come from. For instance, both my uncle AND aunt are Espiscopal priests. I find it wonderfully accepting the fact that the Anglican Church embraces women in religious heirarchy positions.

My mother's maiden name is Wight...as in the Isle of Wight off the coast of Great Britain...as in my ancestors literally came over on the Mayflower. All my ancestors were Episcopaleans or Calvanists, believeing in the new idea of having freedom of religion, which this country was founded on. This is not the reason I am Episcopalean, but I think it is a reason to contniue to be so. It's kind of neat to me for some reason.

The Episcopal Church (as a whole) is not in the practice of thumbing their noses up at abortion, premarital sex, or even homosexuality for that matter. That is the biggest reason I stay Episcopalean. However, for the most part, you can't even tell the differences between the two. If you are at a mass in either place, you will probably do and say and sing the exact same things. When it comes to the bible, mass, practices and beliefs...Episcopaleans and Catholics are almost identicle in nature. But when it comes to social change, I believe the Episcopal Church is more accepting.

So, during this time of Lent, remember there are Catholics AND Episcopaleans involved in this practice. And both are proud of it.

4:33 PM  
Blogger LilRed said...

Anonymous #1 - Thanks for the shout out! I appreciate your offering on your Catholic experiences.

LG - You are correct to remind me that I definitely could use more sleep...couldn't we all?!

Michele - Glad to see I'm not the only one who has exceptions to my Lenten rules!

Anonymous #2 - Thanks for making it all about you. Buzzkill.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I get it...buzz kill, huh? Nice.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Pink Lemonade Diva said...

Will try to make comment short.

Happy you are doing Lent w/ us, Lip. Think it's nice you are doing something to benefit your life, as my interpretation of Lent is to do something that take a concious effort. I think it's Catholic's ingrained guilt that made it a whole negative sacrifice thing.

Good luck!

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here