maro Lip Schtick: 9:01 a.m.p

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

9:01 a.m.

"What the f*ck was that?" I heard a co-worker scream from the back of the building, as I literally grabbed onto the front of my desk to hold on.

At the time, I worked at an office that was located on the I-235 service road.

I turned to a woman who shared my office. "A truck must have rolled down from the highway and hit our building," I remarked, still holding onto the desk.

Her jaw, still dropped from the thunderous boom we had just witnessed, remained locked.

I raced outside to see whatever it was I could see.

I saw no truck. No commotion around our building.

But as I looked eight miles south toward downtown Oklahoma City, I saw it: the thick stream of black smoke.

Without so much as a second thought, I hurried back inside, grabbed my keys, and jumped in my car.

I had no idea what I was headed toward.

Had I known, I probably would never have gone.

3 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Hi Red,
I was living in Manhanttan on 9/11. Total dis-belief, true shock and real fear. I never grasped the term "TERROR"ism so well as I did that day. A word you hear and understand becoming a disease that infects you, entering through your eyes and eating it's way to your heart.
Peace

5:47 AM  
Blogger Ceres said...

I live about 15 miles away and I had the same reaction. I thought a truck drove into my house and I ran outside to see what the hell was in my front yard. Until about 10:00 a.m. I had thought it was a sonic boom.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anne in OKC said...

I was sitting in my second story office five blocks from the Murrah Building. The explosion shook my computer screen and broke the windshield in my car parked just outside. In less than a minute there were sirens ... ambulance, police, fire trucks ... coming into downtown from every direction. A helicoptor was soon overhead. Co-workers ran the few blocks to see which building it was ... they came back with horrible images of pools of blood in the street, people wandering dazed and bloody, or just sitting on the curb, waiting for help with their injuries. It soon began raining in downtown OKC, and for the rest of the day my co-workers and I sat glued to the tv in the conference room watching the rescue efforts taking place just a few blocks away. Injured were sent to all the closest hospitals, and it was difficult for family members to find out where they had been taken. My husband, a hospital chaplain, worked through the day and night with families who were trying to locate their loved ones. Ten years later I remember every tiny detail of that day. What I remember most was the bravery and selflessness of those who were helping with the rescue efforts.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here