maro Lip Schtick: What is wrong with people? - #5p

Thursday, May 26, 2005

What is wrong with people? - #5

Those who ignore the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them.

Or something like that.

You may recall the hot water University of Oklahoma head baseball coach Larry Cochell got himself into a few weeks ago. If you hadn't heard, here's an excerpt from Chase about the very subject:

Recently resigned University of Oklahoma baseball coach Larry Cochell quipped in a private meeting with two ESPN announcers late last month that an African-American freshman outfielder for OU, Joe Dunigan, didn't have "any nigger in him," and then went on to explain that "there are honkies and white people and there are niggers and black people. Dunigan is a good black kid."

I'm sure we can all agree that the statement was just plain stupid on Cochell's part.

So, imagine my chagrin when a woman I know tried to engage me in the following conversation yesterday:

Stupid woman: A neighbor of mine's pit bull attacked my pit bull when Fred was walking her.

LilRed: Really?

Stupid woman: Yes. This neighbor's dog has been a problem before because the owners don't make sure it stays in their yard.

LilRed: Hmmmm.

At this point, I'm already bored with the conversation.

Stupid woman: So, the dog comes running out of their yard and bites my dog on the leg.

LilRed: Is she OK?

Stupid woman: Yeah, she's OK. She had to have stitches, but should be fine. The owner of the other dog told Fred, "I bet my dog could take on your dog." Then Fred said, "You don't want me to let my dog go on yours ..."

LilRed (interjecting): Oh, that's classy. You guys need to grow up a little and not use your dogs to antagonize one another.

Stupid woman: But you have to understand. My neighbor is ... well, all I can say is that there are black people and there are niggers.

LilRed: Whoa! You have REALLY crossed a line now. And a ridiculous comment like that is the very comment that got Larry Cochell fired last month (although I'm quite sure she has no idea who Larry Cochell is). Your neighbor's race has nothing to do with whether or not he's a good neighbor, dog owner, or human being.

Stupid woman: Hey! White people can be niggers too!

LilRed: Oh dear God! What the hell are you talking about?! Please stop saying that word NOW.
At this point, I just walked away hoping that the stupidity would go no further.

Are you frigging kidding me? What in the world is wrong with people?

I will never understand what motivates people to be not only be that stupid, but that irresponsible.

Never.

12 Comments:

Blogger Lady Godiva said...

What IS wrong with people?

4:55 AM  
Blogger Benjamin Solah said...

Whao! There is a real problem there, and just when I though racism was dead against Black people.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Chase McInerney said...

LilRed -
Bless you, my child. Your sentiments on this subject completely make up for that smut about yeast infections and pantyhose.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Chase McInerney said...

Hey, that link to my post ain't workin'. Dagnabbit.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Lucy Jane said...

Good God!
Thanks for standing your ground against that wretched co worker.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Dr. Pants said...

I swear, those people drive me nuts. They're called COLOREDS. Jesus.

(The previous was an act of sarcasm, though I'm pretty sure the racist bastard who wrote it probably meant some shit by it.)

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But, but, but, wait a damn minute now. Just 'cause I say someone's a nigger don't make me a racist! Hell, even black folks call each other niggers. So how come when a white man says 'nigger' in an affectionate way, we get called racists? It's just not fair," say the "oppressed" white rednecks.

Boy have I heard that one before! Fair? What's fair about 300 years of slavery, lynchings and discrimination? Any white person who thinks they are so "down with their brother" that they can toss around the N-word these days IS, in fact, an idiot -- not much brighter than the pit bulls they keep as pets.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous JollyRoger said...

This is exactly the type of person that will tell you, if you press them about their transparent bigotry, "now wait a minute!!!! Why some of my friends are Black!!!"

And I'll bet they even let 'em come in through the front door of the house too. Gracious people.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Jack Burden said...

This is a really weird phenomenom. I have a good friend from college, a very smart, nice guy, and he insists on using the word "nigger." Now, he doesn't call black people that, but he uses it in expressions like "nigger knock" (when you knock on someone's door and then run before they answer).

I've gotten on his case about it, but he uses that damn logic of "If black people can say it, why can't I?" My attitude is, well, if your people were brought here as slaves, and didn't even have the right to vote until the 1960's, and still continue to face tremendous socioeconomic obstacles, then sure, go ahead and use the words. Otherwise, have some goddamn respect and don't use the word.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Ceres said...

You should move sister. I have a neighbor that is pretty much against anyone who isn't white or Christian.

10:43 PM  
Blogger J. M. Branum said...

I personally think no one should use that word no matter what their color is.

Talking about ignorant people though, I remember a conversation in high school (well more of an argument) I had with this guy who was talking about "niggers." I jumped his case about being racist and he said, "no, that's not a racist word at all. I mean there's black people and there are niggers, and there are white people and there are white niggers."

Goodness... what do you say to that kind of ignorance?

10:24 PM  
Blogger gypsyman said...

Prime example of people's stupidity and insensitivity. My mom's a Jew and everybody I know knows this. Day before my weding and my mother in law is sitting around yakking to a room full of people(not my mom thank whatever) and blurts out how she'd been jewed...my brother and I exchange looks.... People just are turds, which is why I prefer cats and other critters...
what you did was so right and so cool. Walk away so your not tempted to punch

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here