maro Lip Schtick: And then there were five - INXS stylep

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

And then there were five - INXS style

I admitted before, I'm addicted.

Rock Star INXS is down to five from the original 15. And what a ride it's been. Here's my breakdown of the final quintet - not that anyone cares.

Why Mig is right for their band INXS:
First of all, he's an Aussie. He would fit right in. But that's not to take away from his talent. The only member of the show who has yet to venture into the "bottom three," Mig had one of the show's highlight performances with his version of Peter Frampton's "Baby I Love Your Way."

I have to admit, I always hated that song with the intensity of 1000 burning suns. But not when Mig crooned away.

Plus, how can I not be entranced by his abs? I ab-solutely cannot ignore them.

Of the final five, I would say that his song selection has been the least diverse, and his original song was not that great.

But overall, he has been a crowd pleaser. And teaser, if you know what I mean.


Why Jordis is just not right for their band INXS:
Jordis is hot. Plain and simple. And her voice is angelic.

But the one criticism I have had during the entire show is that INXS is not consistent in their comments about the performances.

Deanna (who was also extremely hot, by the way) was constantly reminded that she was not breaking out of her "comfort zone." How can the same not be said about Jordis?

Give her a stool and a slow song - she's fantastic (she definitely did John Lennon's "Imagine" justice).

Give her an upbeat rock song - she sucks (she looked horribly out of place with Eric Clapton's "Layla" ... and we won't even discuss how awfully she butchered "Dream On" by Aerosmith.

INXS needs someone who doesn't look like, as a friend of mine put it, "a frump" on stage.

The voice? She has it.

The stage presence? Not at all.

Will Jordis be the next lead singer for INXS? I think it suffices to say: Dream On.


Why Marty is right for their band INXS:
Marty is brilliant.

Not only does he always have the right answers for INXS, but he is a fantastic performer.

He has repeatedly shown that he can do what INXS asks - and delivers without fail.

From recent hits by the Killers and Franz Ferdinand, to classics by Pink Floyd - Marty has continued to impress. Even his take of Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time" was a masterpiece.

If Marty doesn't take home the prize of INXS lead singer, I will be shocked.


Why J.D. is just not right for their band INXS:
J.D. has sucked from day one.

And that's not to say he hasn't had his moments of glory. A couple of his early performances were notable ("California Dreamin'" by the Mamas and the Papas, and "Hand in My Pocket" by Alanis Morissette). He definitely had me fooled.

But as his true colors continued to seep through (he is as slimy as they come), and as his performances began to weaken - well, let's just say I don't know how he's made it this far.

And let's not forget the episode in which the finalists were to go into the studio to perform a new INXS song. While the other rockers were rehearsing until the wee hours, J.D. napped.

Loser.

As mad as I was at Ty for turning his departure into a racial quagmire - I would have much rather seen Ty stick around way before I would have ever wanted to see J.D.'s fake pucker again.

P.S. - I was not the least bit shocked when we found out that J.D. used to be an Elvis impersonator. Elvis was great for Elvis. Anyone else who emulates Elvis in even the slightest way?

Smarmy. Just plain smarmy.

And J.D.'s about as smarmy as they get.


Why Suzie is right for their band INXS:
I have to say - when I first started watching Rock Star INXS, I just couldn't picture a female lead singer.

Now I can.

Suzie is my new favorite to win it all.

I have loved Marty from the first time I saw the show. But Suzie has been the most diverse, most spine-tingling performer.

She has gone from the Rolling Stones, to Sam Cooke, to Stevie Wonder, to Blondie, to Queen (which, by the way, her version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" was the best performance of the show - bar none) all without breaking a sweat.

And don't get me started on her bottom three INXS performances (although why she has ever been in the bottom three is completely beyond me). Her "Bitter Tears" performance still gives me goosebumps, and "Never Tear Us Apart" seems like it was written especially for Suzie.

She has kicked ass throughout (with the exception of the very first show in which she had a lyrical fumble).

I can only hope she continues to keep the ass-kicking vibe going.

She definitely deserves the job.

11 Comments:

Blogger panthergirl said...

I just wrote a big long comment about how I agree with everything you've written... and Blogger ATE IT.

So, I agree with you! And I'm in love with Mig, too... ;)

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Morning_Glory said...

Lil Red, say it isn't so!!! J.D. does have talent!!! In fact, I'd pay to see him any day over Mig or Suzie. And as Dave said, he would definitely cut it in a stadium-type atmosphere. He's a great performer and chicks dig him! Can't see Mig, Suzie, or Jordis bringing in the crowds, can you?

As for Marty...well, he's just phenomenal. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that 'Trees' is INXS' next big hit :) You gotta love him!!!

10:38 PM  
Blogger CISSY said...

Mig is too hot for words. I like Jordis, but I want to comb her hair. Marty -- talented, but very very creepy. Trust me, there's a mass murderer in there somewhere. J.D. sucks. How the heck did he get this far. Suzie - cool. I think Marty's gonna win though. The INXS guys are drooling over him. I'm an addict to reality t.v., this is no exception.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

My pick right now is MiG. He's the only one who has what it takes to really perform in full length concerts.

If they were going to pick a woman, Suzie would be it.

J.D. hasn't done a good song since he arranged/sang California Dreamin' in week one.

I can't believe Jordis and Marty have lasted this long. I would have gotten rid of both of them long ago.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't watch the show.

I have heard rumors that Mig was already chosen to be in the band before the show even started.

10:10 PM  
Blogger James said...

I really like what Suzie has done. I think she'd breath some life in that band in a way the others probably wouldn't. I'll say you're spot on about J.D. The dude's a leach. Marty really belongs in an alternative metal band or something that rocks harder than INXS. Mig's okay, but he never really stood out to me - seems too stiff, too bland. Then again INXS was not all that exciting even in their heyday.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Just found you on Blog Explosion. I love watching the show!! I was and still am a true Jordis fan, but she has lost the spark that made everyone love her. Was sad to see her go, but it was time. I can't stand JD and I have decided that I want him to win because he deserves to be stuck with a band that is way past it's prime. GO JD :-)

I would hate to see Marty, Suzie or even Mig waste their talent.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I have a hard time seeing INXS with a female front-man...or I guess I should say "front woman."
Why? well, because when a band has an attractive female in front, it usually becomes all about the girl. The other band members tend to melt into oblivion, no matter how talented they are. Think "No Doubt" with Gwen Stefani. Think "Blondie" with Debbie Harry. Think "Sixpence None the Richer" with Leigh Nash. For a lot of people, all they see is the girl. There are exceptions, of course...

6:45 AM  
Blogger Janine said...

Yup.. I agree.

I love Jordis and her voice.. just not right for INXS. JD is slimy.

I love the Trees song Marty did. Playing it right now!

Great analysis!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Doris said...

Man I love all the ppl left, but I so am looking for Marty to win! If he doesn't I will by buying his solo albums!

9:47 PM  
Anonymous www.celebritygossipandchat said...

i really wonder if this was the best thing for them to try? Becouse bacily they were just left to pick from who ever was on the show. It would have been better for them if they went out there and found someone on thir own.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here