maro Lip Schtick: Cirque Dreams: a review, if you willp

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Cirque Dreams: a review, if you will

I know that Oklahoma City is not revered by most as a cultural mecca.

Nevertheless, we do see our fair share of great shows that come to town. One such show was the Cirque Dreams production that took place at the Civic Center just last week.

The second in the Celebrity Attractions Oklahoma City season (you may recall my "review" of Billy Joel and Twyla Tharp's Movin' Out which was the first of the series), Cirque Dreams was certainly grand.

From freaky contortionists to an extremely creepy juggler ... this show was so amazing that it seemed like it only lasted for 20 minutes.

My fave portion was the duo of trapeze gals. These ladies performed tricks and treats from the same trapeze. Needless to say, my palms were quite sweaty during this part of the show.

The only negative thing I can recall is the number of folks I heard leaving the show who quipped, "It was just better in Vegas."

Well, duh!

I'm sure in Las Vegas there are far grander venues in which to put on this type of show.

So listen up, Oklahomans, appreciate things for what they are. We are lucky to be able to see shows like this in our own backyards. I mean where else can you see three half naked Russian men balancing themselves on top of each other's heads?

Well, maybe you can see this at Angles, or the Copa, but where else?

Enjoy the shows, folks ... there are more coming our way soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous James said...

I just met Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips at Cao Nyguen last Saturday night... You can't tell me OKC doesn't have things going on.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here