maro Lip Schtick: Now read this - <em>Close Calls</em>p

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Now read this - Close Calls

I mentioned a few posts ago that I wanted to start a list of books I have read recently.

Granted, I am no critic, nor do I want to be.

But I did think it would be fun to share with fellow bloggers the stuff I have read in between my Melrose Place re-runs and new Nip/Tuck episodes.

Thus, "Now read this" is here. Not that anyone should care; we all have our ideas on what we think fine literature should be. Again, I am not trying to be a literary critic.

Close Calls
by Felicia Berland Hyatt


I met Hyatt on April 20, 2001 at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington D.C. She was signing copies of Close Calls for the public.

The first thing I remember was feeling fascinated by her presence. The things she lived through. I will never be able to fathom her experiences during World War II.

The next thing I noticed was that this woman was so tiny. Someone who was as small as she is in stature could not have gotten through something as horrible as the Holocaust.

But she did.

And after reading this book, I know why.

She may have been small in size, but she was extremely large in wit, stamina, and will. She had to be. From leaving her mother for her own survival, to learning how to reason with her "oppressors," to her dangerous, yet well-planned escape from Auschwitz ... this woman proved that you don't have to be big to have a big heart, soul and mind.

Close Calls is extremely easy to read; one does not need an extensive history of WWII to understand. Although Hyatt admits that she has a hard time recalling some events surrounding her days as a prisoner, she is still able to relay most of her experiences with heartfelt emotion.

Hyatt does not spend a lot of time going into great detail of the horrific treatment she and her fellow prisoners received; she doesn't have to. But she does give credence to the bonds she shared with these women, and how they helped one another survive against all odds.

I truly enjoyed this book.

And I realize the importance of the fact that we must all, in her written words on the inside cover of my copy, "Remember."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here