maro Lip Schtick: It's my opinion and I'm sticking to itp

Friday, December 02, 2005

It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it

You know how there are those celebrities that everyone LOVES?

And you know how if you say you're not particularly fond of those celebrities, you get the death daggers and lectures that would seem as if you were guilty of blasphemy for not liking these individuals?

I get those daggers whenever I tell people that I cannot stand Julia Roberts and Oprah Winfrey.

I won't bore you with the details of why I am not crazy about these women. But I will give a brief synopsis:

Julia - Needs the attention whenever the attention should not be about her (you may recall her Katharine Hepburn speech at the Academy Awards a couple of years ago, or her display as she presented the Oscar to Denzel Washington a year or two before that).

Oprah - Vain. I'll say it again. Vain. A friend pointed out to me recently that she constantly looks up to see herself on the monitor during her shows (sidenote - this same friend cannot stand Katie Couric - for shame!).

Yes, I get that Oprah does a lot of great things for underprivileged folks. I don't begrudge her that. I have always just found her to be the biggest of buggers.

Until her David Letterman appearance last night. I have a totally different opinion of her now ... an even lower one.

Don't come on the show and ask what the feud was about. Obviously you have been pissed off about something for years. Come clean. If you're pissed, admit it. Grow up.

And if it is true that your were miffed about the Oprah / Uma (Thurman) introduction gag Letterman served up at the Oscars umpteen billion years ago ... well, I think it's time to get over it.

And in the meantime, in the words of the venerable Phil "Duckie" Dale of Pretty in Pink:

"It's called a sense of humor. You should get one. They're nice."

6 Comments:

Anonymous The Incurable Insomniac said...

Whoot whoot! I'm with you! Personally, I don't get this celebrity obsession crap anyway. Are our lives so empty that we must fixate on somone else's empty existence?

Man, I love your mind.

1:23 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to these two. But I can understand your confusion over this fight-to-the-death defense of a beloved celebrity. Unless these people are getting a cut of somebody's multi-million dollar movie deal, it shouldn't amount to a hill of beans one way or the other.

2:22 PM  
Blogger aka_monty said...

I can't stand Oprah. Every time I see her I'm reminded of that joke:

"God called Oprah the other day. He says he wants his job back."

:)

12:14 AM  
Blogger The Grish said...

I'm really surprised that more people haven't looked at that particular angle after the Oprah appearance on Dave. If you are just so shocked that anyone would think you have hard feelings toward the guy, would you mind explaining just where you've been the past 16 years when his producers call every week asking if you could come on the show? So disingenuous. She annoys the heck out of me, too.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Brett said...

I'm iffy on Roberts, but as for Oprah, I can't fathom someone who has to be the cover photo of every single issue of her magazine. I don't really have to like her, though. She likes herself well enough for the both of us.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Ceres said...

Well I would give my eye teeth to be on Oprah's show when she does her "Favorite Things". If I could do that then I would love her as she does herself.

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here