maro Lip Schtick: Now read this - <em>Fraternity</em>p

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Now read this - Fraternity

Fraternity: A Journey in Search of Five Presidents
by Bob Greene

No, I'm not referring to the male Greek system at your local university campus.

Fraternity is a book I happened across at, as I've mentioned before, my fave place: Barnes and Noble.

Now, loyal Lip Schtick readers know that I am not political. Most political opinions I do have, I choose to keep to myself (as I wish a lot more people would do).

But even with that said, I am fascinated by US presidents. Not who they are as president, but who they are as just people.

Writer and reporter Bob Greene spent many years tracking down and interviewing past presidents

Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Jimmy Carter

Ronald Reagan
George H.W. Bush

and compiled a pretty interesting look at what makes these guys tick (besides the fact that they each once held the world's most powerful political position).

Greene does speak with these men about the brief time they spent in office. But it's the most mundane stuff that really stuck me as the most interesting.

We seem to become familiar with our presidents because of the day-in and day-out media coverage. But it also seems that we often forget that these men are also human.

This book is a quick read and easy to follow. A word of caution, however. If you are interested in Ronald Reagan's piece of the puzzle, you'll be disappointed. The announcement of his affliction with Alzheimer's took place shortly before his visit with Greene was scheduled. He was never interviewed.

I was pleasantly surprised by Fraternity.

Let me know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here