maro Lip Schtick: A scary thoughtp

Friday, February 03, 2006

A scary thought

I just remembered something from my childhood that, boring as it may be, I thought I'd share.

When I was a wee young lass I used to put an "a" in front of the word scared.

So, I might say something like, "I'm ascared of the deep water." Or, "I'm ascared of that big dog."

One day I used the word "ascared" in front of my Grandpa. I could tell this perturbed him so.

"Why the hell do you keep saying 'ascared,'" he barked. Do you mean scared? Or afraid? There's no 'a' in front of scared!"

Needless to say, I felt like a complete amoron.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Raida said...

Not an uncommon thing. Sorry your Grandpa made you feel 'amoron'. lol

I heard and commented on this word myself just the other night. Here in good ol' Canada...we have "Hockey Night in Canada" (of course). Don Cherry is a gent who leads the mid-game intermission discussion and that was the exact word I heard out of his mouth, "ascared". In his case I was kind of surprised to hear it but it seems something that many people say quite often.

Great blog. Glad I popped by.

Have a wonderful day.

~Raida

2:38 PM  
Anonymous amanda said...

Hi! I'm a friend of Liz's and drop in to eavesdrop on you occasionally. My 2 year old is watching Bambi II and thumper says "ascared", my baby copies him and says, "what's the matter, are you ascared? " I think it's cute no matter who says it! You should bring it back!

7:52 PM  
Blogger LilRed said...

Raida and Amanda - Welcome! I'm sure aglad you dropped by ...

9:05 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

HAHA! That's almost as funny as the kids in my hood saying "aloose." And a lot of them still say it!

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Bug said...

*chuckle* Be proud to have used ascared...I still do! I also used to say 'pasketti' instead of spaghetti.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here