maro Lip Schtick: A helping handoutp

Thursday, March 02, 2006

A helping handout

A lady outside Petco tonight stopped me to ask for money. She said she and her daughter were stranded. Whether or not she was lying, I don't care. I gave her a couple of dollars.

When I have done this in the past, some of my friends shake their heads.

I get it.

There are tons of "homeless" people out there who scam the public.

All I keep thinking is that if I can help the one legitimate person who needs it, then that's what I'll do.

Heaven forbid that I or someone I care about is ever in that position.

And if so, I hope someone will help me.

6 Comments:

Blogger EKWisdom said...

I agree.
Showing a random act of kindness, a moment of hope, of human generosity, can never be a bad thing.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I do the same thing, and it drives my husband crazy. I just can't imagine not helping someone if I can. If I'm being "taken" most of the time, then so be it...but if 1 out of 10 times, someone can get home or has a hot meal because of me, well, those odds are too great to not atleast try and help.

9:03 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

You're a better person than me and your theory is definitely valid.

Selfish fools like me use the "half empty" mode of thought to justify keeping their purses closed.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Jessi said...

I'm with ya. I figure that I'll take my chances with being scammed--if a person needs to lie to get a couple of dollars, they clearly need it more then me.

And if they are telling the truth, so much the better. My dollar might get me a soda, or keep me from having to use my credit card to get out of the parking garage, but for them, it might mean the difference between sleeping in a hotel and sleeping on the street.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Linda Ikeji said...

Just give as long as you can do so in compassion and in love.

No normal person will beg on the street.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Gotta agree with Linda. Anyway, I figure we both answer to God - and if the beggar is lying, that's his problem. If I'm tightfisted, that's my problem...and so I give.

p.s. There is a God.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here