maro Lip Schtick: Running on emptyp

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Running on empty

I almost didn't get up today to go watch the sixth running of the Oklahoma Memorial Marathon.

But I'm so glad I did.

I told a friend of mine that I would station myself along various points of the track to cheer her on (she ran the half marathon). So at the very least, had I not gotten out of my cozy bed, I may have let her down.

But, as with years past, I am always amazed at the fact that I almost opt for bed rather than to drag out and watch one of the most amazing human feats ... the marathon.

These people are insane. But I mean that in a good way.

26.2 miles.

And all that pounding cannot be good for the bod.

But as I watch people in their 60s pounding away at what seems like a never-ending battle against the evil that is a treacherous long-distance run, I am inspired.

So inspired that I hope to participate in the half marathon next April.

Notice I said participate. I didn't say run.

I know my limits. More likely I'll sprinkle in some running with my walking.

But I'll never say never.

Who knows, maybe by this time next year, I will be known as the next Rosie Ruiz.

3 Comments:

Blogger Justin24601 said...

Go get 'em!

8:00 PM  
Anonymous nicole said...

Dude, just the fact that you're THINKING of doing this is heroic in my book. I am SO not a runner!

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Kerry said...

Good luck!!!

It's not as bad as you think. I did a 5K once (once) and it went better than expected. The other runners are encouraging.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here