maro Lip Schtick: The worst unintended pun in the history of pundomp

Sunday, April 23, 2006

The worst unintended pun in the history of pundom

A few days ago, psychiatrist Terry Beasley was interviewed on a local news affiliate about the Jamie Rose Bolin case in which alleged murderer Kevin Underwood planned to eat the child after killing her.

When asked about the reasons behind why Underwood may have committed such a heinous crime, Beasley replied that a lot of murderers' fantasies are driven by things they can access on the Internet, even when it comes to cannibalism.

Then, Beasley went on to mention that he believed that in Underwood's case, the Internet may have propelled his fantasies, in effect causing him to be "consumed" by them.

7 Comments:

Anonymous nicole said...

You sure that was so "unintended?"

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Mr Eccentric said...

Next thing will be to ban the internet. Just wait and see.

8:14 PM  
Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Here from Michele's M&G Alphabet game...It doesn't sound unintential to me but maybe I'm just being jaded! This crime and this guy is just beyond my understanding...!

2:55 AM  
Anonymous Brett said...

I imagine the psychiatrist was just incautious in his jargon.
The only way for me to believe that the local news affiliate intentionally allowed the pun is to believe that someone there knew that "consume" can also mean "eat." Nearly 20 years of living in and around central OK and watching them, combined with my inherent print bias against the newsreaders, make that hard to accept.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Chase McInerney said...

LilRed, I am surprised in you. That pun really bites.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Kerry said...

Its terrible what happened to that little girl... and so sad her family is going thru such trying times. That kid that did this is sick and deserves no second chances!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Bob H. said...

Hi, LilRed, This is almost for sure unintentional (and how terrible the whole thing is for the people involved). I have a blog that is dedicated to this type of wording, both that I find on the internet, and things from my own life. I just found your blog, so I realize you may not be posting any more. But if you're interested, here are two of the more gruesome puns I've seen on the internet:


http://pun-forum.blogspot.com/2011/05/youve-got-to-be-kidding-me.html

http://pun-forum.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html (in this one, a headline says "Daycare Fire Sparks Investigation"--nobody writes that trying to be funny.

Are you still posting?

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here