maro Lip Schtick: Flower powerp

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Flower power

It is true that I never really paid much attention to ornamental flowers and landscaping until I bought a house.

Unfortunately, I am not one of those people who enjoys working in a flower garden. In fact, a couple of evenings ago I pulled a weed from the flowerbed, only to expose the world's largest earthworm.

Now, I realize that earthworms are harmless. This fact, however, did not keep me from soiling my pants a little as it writhed around in surprise of being unearthed.

But to get back to my original point: I hire landscapers to plant my flowers.

Not only do I not have to worry about encountering bugs if I planted flowers myself, but professionals just do a quicker and better job than I would.

So a few nights ago, I meet with my new landscaper to determine what kind of flowers I want to have planted. Since my flowerbeds are exposed to near total sunlight, I told him that marigolds tend to do well.

"Marigolds?" he chuckled.

"Yes, marigolds," I replied.

"You don't want to plant marigolds. Marigolds are old lady flowers. I haven't planted marigolds in years."

"My previous landscapers didn't have a problem planting marigolds," I rebuffed.

"Well, maybe your previous landscapers just didn't keep up with the styles."

Are you friggin' kidding me?

Not only do I have to worry about the latest fashion trends, beauty fads and jewelry styles ... but now I have to keep up with "what's new in horticulture?"

Who knew?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Daneris said...

That is super funny. I think it would be nice to have beautiful "fancy" flowers. They might take more upkeep. You should ask what your options are for beautiful flowers that don't need too much attention.

Have a good day!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Indiana Jonesing said...

I still don't understand what Scaping the Land means.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous The Incurable Insomniac said...

Oh! Oh! Glad you brought this up! Once, many years ago, a friend and I were taking a walk through the neighborhood and I saw a beautiful tree in one yard with nearly black leaves. I commented on how pretty it was and he replied, "Oh, those trees are so-o-o 1970s." It caused probably the biggest fight we've ever had.

Thanks for "taking my side"!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

LOL Fashionable flowers whatever next. That really made me laugh, thank you

11:01 AM  
Blogger CISSY said...

I must be really outdated. I didn't know that flowers were fashionable.

Well, like most everything else I'll be outdated this year. Fortunately, I have a gardening-crazed husband so I don't have to hire a landscaper.

Plant your marigolds. LOL

9:21 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I've noticed young girls wearing things my grandmother wore...only now it is cool. To me, they still look like grandmother clothes. To them, it is SO cool. (Or, maybe "cool" was a grandmother word...). Anyway, I think you should revitalize the marigold! You have the power to make marigolds cool again! (I have marigolds, but I'm too much a geek to start any trends).

What flowers did he recommend? We must know!

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here