maro Lip Schtick: 3.1 miles down - 10 to gop

Monday, July 17, 2006

3.1 miles down - 10 to go

A couple of days ago (Saturday, to be exact), I ran my first 5K race.

Yes, in my quest toward next April's Oklahoma Memorial Marathon (in which I hope to run the half marathon), I feel I am doing well.

Not so well to finish in the top half of female participants, but well enough to finish under 35 minutes (which was my goal time). In fact, I beat that time by a couple of minutes.

Don't get me wrong.

Running is hard. In fact, the entire time I run (whether I am training, or actually participating in a race), all I can think is, "What the hell am I doing?"

But I have to tell you.

I have only run in two races, but there is NOTHING like the feeling of crossing that finish line.

All of the sucking wind, sweating like a pig, and hating every minute of it during the run, is well-validated when I finish.

Having a feeling of accomplishment is quite awesome.

And who cares that there are 70 and 80 year olds who are finishing faster than me? One of these days I'll catch up with them.

God.

Hopefully.

2 Comments:

Blogger JerseyTjej said...

I ran my first 5k in Sidney Australia, for every other year after, I traveled to Ireland, Washington, D.C.; Mexico; San Diego and Germany etc. for the World Airlines Road Races. You were spot on about hating the race but loving the finish!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Lady Godiva said...

WOW. I'm impressed. But isn't it grand! I've done a few 5k runs... sadly in my past... by a good 5 years... these days I'd feel grateful to accomplish a 5k walk. You're an inspiration.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here